The school buildings have constantly been upgraded and we currently have 10 classrooms, an administration block, staffroom and staff planning room, library, multi-purpose covered sports hall, art room, staff offices and Parish hall. Students play in four fully supervised areas including an adventure playground, grassed, tiger turfed and paved areas. All learning areas were fully renovated during the 2009 school year.
St Brendan's School is outfitted with a new wireless network that spans all learning areas, inside and outside of classrooms. Students learn with variety of technology platforms and devices. This includes iPads, Chromebooks and PCs.
Specialist staff include: Music, LOTE (Italian), Physical Education, Performing and Visual Arts, Literacy, Special Needs, REC, Digital Technologies, Curriculum, Reading Recovery and Oral Language.
We are fortunate to have a rich multi-cultural population adding much to the school's unique culture. Students are very accepting of each other and their individual differences. We strive to provide an affordable Catholic Education for each family and provide rich learning opportunities for each child. These factors make St Brendan's school community such a rewarding place to be a part of.
St Brendan's Vision
St Brendan’s is an inclusive community of learners
“United in God”.
With St Brendan the Navigator, as our patron and guide,
We face our life’s journey with optimism and bravery.
We embrace the uniqueness of our community
And accept the call to be of service to others.
St Brendan’s school begun from humble beginnings in 1887 as a one room wooden school located on the corner of Church and Wellington St. In 1908, a new brick infant school was opened on the current site, 103 Wellington Street. The administration and additional classrooms were added in 1913-1914 and were described by the Board of Health as ‘quite up to date and the finest school in Victoria’.
In those early days, religious sisters played an important role in the school as ‘wholly religious education could best be imparted by religious men and women’. The Mercy Order had a convent teacher training centre in Flemington and St Brendan's was often
utilized as a 'teacher training' school.
St Brendan’s has flourished under the educational and spiritual management of
- 1887 – 1897 Lay Principals
- 1898 – 1908 Sisters of Charity
- 1908 – 1981 Sisters of Mercy
- 1982 – Current Lay Principals
Today, St Brendan’s is a modern and well-equipped school, providing flexible and interactive learning spaces.
ST BRENdAN'S - THE SAINT
St. Brendan is a Celtic saint who was born in what is now County Kerry, Ireland, about 486 A.D., approximately 25 years after the death of St. Patrick. He had a very strong influence on the Celtic church and is regarded as one of Ireland's most important saints. He was responsible for founding a number of abbies and monasteries, including the one at Clonfert in Galway, where he died about 578 A.D.
He is known as Brendan the "Voyager" or the "Navigator" because of the many voyages he made around the British Isles and to the coast of Brittany. However, the voyage for which Brendan is best known is shrouded in the midst of legend. This is the story of his search for the Land of Promise, far away in the west.
Brendan built a boat out of ‘oak- bark’’ tanned ox hides stretched over a framework of ash, provisioned it for a voyage of 40 days, and set off with 17 other monks. They encountered bad weather, stormy seas and high winds and were blown onto islands and visited settlements. They stopped over on islands with exotic sheep and birds, streams full of trout and islands devoid of all vegetation - completely bare. They were visited by vast numbers of sea birds, whales and dolphins who broke the monotony of the day. They were welcomed to Hell where giant demons threw great lumps of burning slag at them from huge fiery furnaces, and they could see rivers of gold fire running down from the furnaces. They took days to circumnavigate tall crystal pillars in the sea before eventually emerging from the fog to the Land of Promise.
In the l970's Tim Severin became fascinated with the Brendan story. He researched the ancient script "Navigatio Sancti Brendani Abbatis" - 'The Voyage of St Brendan the Abbot' and planned a stepping stone route to the Land of Promise. By using prevailing winds and currents, in a small boat built out of a framework of ash and covered with ox hides, Tim and his crew were able to travel from Ireland to the Land of Promise, North America.